The main difference between local SEO and regular SEO lies in the target audience and the geographical focus.
Regular SEO, also known as organic SEO, aims to optimize a website’s visibility and rankings in search engine results pages (SERPs) on a broader scale. The focus is on targeting keywords and optimizing website elements to attract organic traffic from various locations, regardless of their geographic proximity to the business.
On the other hand, local SEO focuses on optimizing a website’s visibility specifically for local searches. It aims to attract customers within a specific geographic area, such as a city or region, who are actively seeking local products or services. Local SEO strategies are highly relevant for businesses with physical locations or those serving specific geographic regions.
Here are some key differences between local SEO and regular SEO:
- Geographic Focus: Local SEO targets a specific geographic area, while regular SEO focuses on a broader audience.
- Targeted Keywords: Local SEO incorporates location-specific keywords, such as “plumber in New York,” to attract local searchers. Regular SEO may target more general keywords without specific location modifiers.
- Google Business Listings (formerly known as Google My Business): Local SEO heavily relies on optimizing and managing a business’s GMB profile, including accurate contact information, opening hours, customer reviews, and map listings.
- Online Directories and Citations: Local SEO involves ensuring consistent and accurate listings in online directories, local business directories, and review sites.
- Local Content: Local SEO may involve creating content specifically tailored to the local audience, such as location-specific blog posts, city guides, or event promotions.
- Reviews and Ratings: Local SEO places a strong emphasis on managing and encouraging positive online reviews and ratings, as they play a significant role in local search visibility and reputation.
- NAP Consistency: Local SEO requires maintaining consistent Name, Address, and Phone Number (NAP) information across all online platforms to establish trust and accuracy.
While regular SEO strategies can still benefit local businesses, implementing specific local SEO tactics helps businesses improve their visibility in local search results and target their primary customer base more effectively.